I have fifteen years’ worth of corporate and freelance graphic design experience. For the last eight of these, I have been running my own graphic design business. Colleagues and clients (hopefully) would describe me as an “enthusiastic, creative, reliable and professional designer with a can-do attitude”.
Outside of work, I can be found enjoying good food and wine, or working it off at a favourite circuits class. I’m also developing a taste for “craft beer” and speciality Scotch eggs…
I design and build bespoke websites for clients, initially mocked up in Photoshop to provide a range of choices. The final designs are subsequently built in HTML and CSS, or implemented as a WordPress theme. Throughout the design process, I keep in mind user experience and search engine optimisation (SEO). I have had particular success in getting local business websites much better visibility in the main search engines.
I also specialise in all areas of print design including brochures, flyers, business stationery, paperback books and product packaging.
Other areas of graphic design I have extensive experience of include ebooks (also with automatic website PayPal payment and download mechanisms), email marketing and subscriber list management (via third-party solutions including MailChimp, Aweber and Streamsend), large-format display banners and GUI icons for software and web apps.
I have expert working knowledge of all industry-standard graphic design programs including Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Dreamweaver.
I am proficient in both Mac and Windows environments, and have excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
August 2005 – Present
- Freelance graphic design: websites (including WordPress themes and SEO), brochures, flyers, email marketing, business cards and business stationery, corporate branding, logo creation, books, ebooks, and adhoc graphics
- I regularly liaise with a variety of photographers, illustrators, programmers and printing companies to achieve the best quality and value for my clients’ projects
- Please see my portfolio for examples
Design Manager, Accelrys Ltd
June 2001 – April 2005
- Managed a trans-Atlantic team of graphic designers working within the busy Marcom department
- Developed new branding guidelines for the corporate identity
- Co-created a logo for a new product range, within the corporate guidelines, liaising with senior product marketing staff
- Created brochures, flyers, web sites and GUI graphics for all the software ranges, as well as several multimedia projects
- Instrumental in developing (in collaboration with the IT department) a design request system that automatically logged design requests from various departments and individuals across the company
- Trained staff in the Tokyo office in using Dreamweaver to update the Japanese version of the company website
- Carried out annual staff appraisals and recruited new designers
- Project managed a corporate multimedia CD, working with outside agencies
Multimedia Designer, Synomics Ltd
October 2000 – May 2001
- Sole responsibility for the company’s web site.
- Also created all the GUI graphics for the software Synomics produced.
- Oversaw external marketing and design projects produced by agencies.
Web Designer, WorldWideCity
April 2000 – October 2000
- Designed websites for start ups within this small web design agency in Cambridge.
Graphic Designer, SCO Ltd
December 1998 – April 2000
- Working within the web team in the Cambridge office to provide graphics for the SCO corporate website.
- Also worked in the Tarantella Marcom team updating the Tarantella product website.